Saturday, January 24, 2009

Not Hand Scissors - Scissor Hands

_____When I first met my newest cinematic hero, he was half hidden in shadow.
_____A makeup sales woman who was experiencing frustration in a rural neighborhood was inspired to visit the huge and creepy (yet somehow previously unnoticed) mansion at the end of her road. Upon opening the gate to the courtyard, she is struck with awe. Scattered about are perfectly trimmed hedges, crafted to resemble a plethora of animals. Without waiting for an invitation, she enters the mansion and that is where she finally meets him. He slowly emerges from the shadows. She is in shock. First, she cries out, "Those are your hands!" first in shock and fear. Then a second time. "Those are your hands?" This time with pity.
_____The film, of course, is Edward Scissorhands. Now I'm not going to lie, this movie really tugged at my heartstrings. I can't believe how lame I am for wasting 18 years of my life not watching such a cinematical masterpiece. I honestly didn't think I'd like it at all, but boy was I wrong. Not only is it an awesome movie, but it has an awesome message. It portrays how hard it is as an adolescent. How hard it is to grow up and not know exactly who you are or where you stand in the world. It really has that elephant-in-the-room kind of feeling. No matter how much everyone tries to pretend he's normal and no matter how much he wants to be normal, he still has razor sharp knives for fingers, and that causes a lot more problems that you might realize at first. Not only physically, but mentally as well.
_____My favorite part is in the picture above, where the girl asks Edward to hold her, and with that heartwrenching sadness in his voice, he replies, "I can't." It shows that feeling that you get when you love something so much that you want to touch it and hold it and do all you can to make it feel better, but you know that if you do, it'll fall apart. That profound feeling of helplessness where trying to help will actually hurt the thing you love. So you love it enough to not touch it at all. The other scene that really got to me was the part where he tears up the curtains in the bathroom and just stares at himself in the mirror while tearing up the wallpaper. He is in so much pain, and he hates what he sees in the mirror. The mirror seems to play an important part in the movie. You'll notice that whenever he sees a mirror or any reflective surface, he stops and stares at himself until someone drags him away from it. He really hates what he is. You can just tell. Kudos to the brilliant acting of Johnny Depp.
_____ I don't know, I just really liked this movie. It made me laugh, it made me cry, but most importantly, it made me think.

1 comment:

Charmaine said...

I was the same way about that movie. I thought it would be real stupid and I didn't bother watching it for many years. By accident I watched it because there was nothing better on TV. Boy, I walked away from it with many mixed emotions! Very good movie.And you are totally right, Johnny Depp is a fabulous actor. We've seen him play some pretty interesting parts through the years. Of course we loved him as Jack Sparrow. Also a newer one titled something about a window? I'm getting it confused with "The bedroom Window" I think.Anyway thanks for your thoughts on the movie. You are not as dumb as your dad makes you out to be.
I love you tons Rad.