Monday, January 26, 2009

Holy Crap, It's Michael Phelps! No Wait, It's Just Michael Phillips. Wait A Minute... Holy Crap It's Michael Phillips!

I was walking into my Dental Assisting class today at the Granite Technical Institute when suddenly I saw a sign. I don't normally pay attention to signs, and I have no idea why I even gave this one a passing glance, but I'm happy that I did, because it made my entire day! My heart skipped a beat when I read that Michael Phelps was giving a presentation for our class! Seriously, that's what I thought the sign said, but upon further investigation it was just some guy named Michael Phillips. I followed the rest of the students into the classroom not even realizing what I'd just read.
Then, I was like some kind of crazy guy. I ran back, startling a group of girls along the way, and confirmed that one of the top ten coolest people I know was visiting our school. I couldn't believe it, but there it was. Michael Phillips, 4th year medical student, Wisconsin University; yep that sounds like my awesome cousin. What the heck was he doing there? I had no idea, I just took off for the assembly room.
Wow, it was so cool seeing Mike again. Way better than that Phelps guy. He was standing right by the door and I didn't know if I should shake his hand or hug him. So like the loser that I am, I shook his hand. But the love was there :) So he really did give a presentation for the med students. He called it, "Are You Crazy Too" Ha ha. Y'know, he did a great job! I was impressed! He talked about how he became interested in medicine and what he's been up over these long Mikeless years. He's been doing so much that I began to understand why he entitled it Are You Crazy Too. He must be crazy to go through all that work. But that's why we love him right? I'm definitely impressed and proud of all that he's accomplished :)
Like I said before though, he actually gave a really good speech. I told him at the end that I was enthralled with it and I meant it. A lot of the things he said to me stood out. He told us how he never really took a lot of science in high school, but found out that he really loved it. He also loved how a doctor always seems to make things better, even if they can't help you. They can still refer you to another doctor, or give you information that can just make you feel better. These factors contributed to his desire to become a doctor. He told us some stories about what he's been up to in Med School. He met a guy who tried to commit suicide by pounding a nail into his chest via nailgun, and a woman who supposedly had gallbladder disease. The funny thing is, she didn't have a gallbladder.
He talked about the physical and emotional toll the profession can take on you. He said that a doctor could work a maximum of 30 hours. And told a sad story about a patient who requested to die instead of going through surgery. He told us so much that I don't think I can write it all down. But the one thing that he wanted to get across to us the most was that unhappy people are only unhappy because they haven't found what they really want to do. If you love the medical professions, then all the hard work will be worth it. Thanks for coming Mike. You rock, and the presentation was awesome! It was great seeing you again. Also... I wasn't going to say anything... but even if he didn't notice, I saw a lot of young senoritas who couldn't keep their eyes off him :) I guess that's just another quirk to being a doctor.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

That is really cool! We are all so proud of Mike, and we're proud of you, too! Congratulations on being the English Sterling Scholar. That is a huge accomplishment. Way to go! I'm glad I married into a family of smarties. :)

Mal Pal said...

Rad don't feed his ego... :)I didn't know you were a sterling scholar. That's so awesome. I always wanted to be a sterling scholar... I love reading your blog, you're hilarious rad!

Charmaine said...

I was as surprised you saw Michael as you were. How very cool that must of been. I could tell you took in a lot by how much you were documenting. I love you Rad and am proud to hear about your being a English Sterling Scholar!! You go Rad!!

Mal Pal said...

congrats on your acceptance to the U!!